Today I used the same particle system I did previously in part 2 to attach the seeds onto the flower. Then I went on to tweak the fur and made 4 variations of the seed fluff.
But immediately after this unoptimized 35s render, I noticed some problems that really need to be fixed:
- The seeds are too big! It seems like I’ve been taking the wrong measurements from photos. To fix this I might have to go all the way back to Zbrush to do it and regenerate the vector displacement map, which means reconnecting everything.
- The positioning of the seeds needs to be better. It seems a little too random and messy, where real dandelion seeds are quite in the golden ratio arrangement. To fix this I might need to experiment with different number of UVs on the sphere in the middle.
Now I’m struck with some more challenges. I could rig and animate the stalk easily, but how to make the seeds follow through? How do I make the fluff move in the wind as well? Not forgetting the dandelion clock where the seeds detach from one by one in a clockwise manner.
Problem solving time! My idea is to make 4 different hair systems to simulate movement in the 4 different fur nodes, set gravity to none and add some wind so they appear to move differently. For the seeds which currently are controlled by the particles, I could write expressions which makes them aim slightly towards the direction of the wind, i.e when the stalk sway towards the x-axis, the seeds aim slightly towards x as well. And finally for the clock, I’ll introduce a volume axis field which moves towards the seeds and suck them one by one. At this point i might need rotation too, which are solved by writing more expressions.
Theoretically it works, but I guess there will be lots of troubleshooting in between.
For tomorrow I guess I would just make sure the dandelion looks nice and start playing with the hair systems!